Already have a Username/Password for Journal of Surrealism and the Americas?
Go to Login
Need a Username/Password?
Go to Registration
Registration and login are required to submit items online and to check the status of current submissions.
Foreign language contributions (in French, German and Spanish) are accepted, but we require a two-page, single-spaced English language abstract with any foreign language submission.
Feature articles should be from 8,000 to 10,000 words and single-spaced (including endnotes). Reviews are from 1,500-2,000 words. Reviews must be in English language. All essays should conform to the Chicago Manual of Style format. Please be sure to include a short biography at the end of your article or review submission (250 word maximum, placed before the endnotes).
While the JSA accepts images to run in feature articles DO NOT insert images in your manuscript document; you will not be able to post your submission with images imbedded in it to the JSA website. Please check the JSA image guidelines below for further instructions on how to submit images with your feature article submission.
In addition, please adhere to general JSA formatting:
•”Surrealism” is capitalized only when it is used as a noun and is otherwise lower-case;
•Titles of artworks are italicized;
•Titles of exhibitions are in quotation marks;
•Use American spelling and punctuation throughout;
JSA accepts up to nine (9) images to run in feature articles. DO NOT insert images in your manuscript document; you will NOT be able to post your submission with images imbedded in it to the JSA website, and the editor will ask you to remove them from any Word document. You must however indicate clearly where in your article the images are to appear.
Please prepare images as jpeg files for essays accepted for publication, sending each as a clearly labeled jpeg file. We can only accept images for which you have already secured permission for them to appear on the JSA website. Each image must be at least 300 dpi. Please be sure to label each image by author name and figure # so that the layout editor can insert the images properly. As these are large files we ask you to transfer/share them with the editors via a Dropbox folder (please contact the editor for more specifics).
Please also prepare and submit a separate List of Illustrations for your essay. Each caption should have a format similar to the sample caption below; however, different agencies stipulate a specific format for permissions, so you need to keep to the wording that they have stipulated.
You will also need to be clear about where the images should be inserted in your text with: PLACE FIG. 1 HERE.
Fig. 1. Salvador Dalí, New York? Illustration for The Secret Life of Salvador Dalí, 1938, ink on paper fragment. Copyright Salvador Dalí, Fundacio Gala-Salvador Dalí, Figueres, Spain (2007) / SODRAC (2007).
Submission Preparation Checklist
As part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor).
- The submission file is in Microsoft Word or RTF document file format with no images embedded in the document.
- the text is double-spaced; uses a 12-point font; employs italics, rather than underlining (except with URL addresses); and notations indicate where any illustrations, figures, and tables are placed within the text (DO NOT insert images into your document).
- The text and all endnotes adhere to the Chicago Manual of Style
- If submitting to a peer-reviewed section of the journal, the instructions in Ensuring a Blind Review) have been followed.
- When available, the URLs to access references online are provided, including those for open access versions of the reference. The URLs are ready to click (e.g., http://pkp.sfu.ca).
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.